The most frequently asked questions from our landlords and tenants

If you are currently, or considering renting and leasing with Toop&Toop, we know that you'll probably have a few questions. To help answer some of these, we have provided the top 10 Frequently Asked Questions from our landlords and tenants below:


How much notice do landlords have to give to end a lease?

If you have a fixed term agreement with your tenant, you are obliged to honour the end date of that lease. Landlords need to give tenants at least 28 days' notice to vacate the property prior to the end date of the agreement.

Do I have to pay trades directly for work performed at my rental property?

Toop&Toop can handle the payment of trades on landlords' behalf from their rental payments. Landlords have the option to do this independently, but we think it's helpful to have all transactions on one statement for easy reference.

How often will you inspect the property?

An initial inspection of the property is conducted prior to the commencement of any tenancy. Throughout the course of a tenancy, inspections are usually conducted around every fortnight to 16 days. Upon completion of a tenancy, a final inspection will take place, with the report emailed to the owner.

Does a tenant pay rent in advance?

Yes, legislation requires that tenants are to pay two weeks' rent in advance prior to the start of the lease. The rent is due again on the 4th day of the lease and every fortnight thereafter.

What happens if my tenant stops paying rent?

We will handle communication about unpaid rent on your behalf. First, your Property Manager will send out a friendly reminder to the tenant to assess the situation. Should the arrears continue with no correspondence from the tenant, we will seek permission from landlords before issuing a Form 2 notice for unpaid rent. From here, the issue will be brought in front of the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, who will determine if the tenant should be evicted from your property. For more information on this, click here.



If I need to break my lease, how much will it cost?

If a tenant moves out of a home before the end of a fixed-term agreement, they are breaking the lease. Landlords can claim costs for the loss of rent until the home is re-let, as well as a portion of the advertising and marketing fees. It is important to note that tenants are not responsible for the advertising and re-letting feed if they are in the last month of their tenancy and breaking the lease a little earlier than specified. They are, however, still responsible for rent until the original lease date unless a new tenancy commences.

A tenant cannot end a fixed-term lease early without being held responsible for fees related to reletting the property, unless their agent or landlord agrees not to claim these costs. Landlords should make sure any agreement not to claim costs is notated in writing. The costs tenants must pay when breaking a lease are measured as per the sliding scale formula set by the Consumer and Business Services of South Australia.

Will I be informed when there is an upcoming inspection?

We will give you one to two weeks' notice of your upcoming inspection. Your Property Manager will generally inspect properties around every 16 weeks. Tenants will be notified by their Property Manager about upcoming inspections.

What happens if I can't pay my rent?

Communication is important between tenants, landlords and Property Managers. If you find yourself facing financial hardship or are in a situation where you can't pay rent, please contact your Property Manager as soon as possible.

How long should I have to wait for something to be fixed after I lodge a job?

If a job is urgent, (like a burst water pipe), we will arrange a trade to attend to it promptly. Using our ToopFix technology, tenants can request repairs and monitor the status of jobs.

What are my responsibilities for when I move out of the home?

Tenants need to return the home to the condition it was in at the beginning of the tenancy. When you moved into the property, you were provided with a Property Condition Report, a useful document to refer to when vacating the home. Your Property Manager will provide you with details about the vacating process when the time comes to move out.